In a buy-side financial services setting, the Software Engineer is an integral part of Enterprise Technology providing best in class technology solutions, capabilities and support to the firm’s Enterprise teams including Marketing, Sales & Client Services, Legal & Compliance, Finance & Accounting, and Human Resources. This individual will leverage industry leading practices such as Agile, TDD/BDD to develop, maintain and support integrations, applications and vendor solutions in the Enterprise Technology space. The position also requires knowledge of data management strategies with a focus on backend development and data integration.
Software Engineers require minimal supervision of day to day tasks, providing strong analysis, problem solving and execution and support capabilities to the Enterprise Technology team. Software Engineers work towards commonly executed solutions, recommending multiple approaches and collaborating across technology and user teams to refine the approach being taken. This role leverages broad technical capabilities along with relevant business knowledge within investment firm to deliver consistent solutions.
Good communications and problem solving skills and a preference of asset management industry background.
Duties and responsibilities
- Work collaboratively as a full stack developer to perform analysis, gather requirements, develop test plans, assist quality assurance process and implement changes. This includes identifying problems, recommending solutions, breaking down work into tasks and providing regular updates and activity tracking.
- Follow development processes for source control, builds, reviews, deployments and change control. Collaborate with other team members to improve standards and best practices related to integration design, development process and data governance.
- Become a subject matter expert across at least one business and data domains and associated technology and vendor platforms.
- Critical skills include troubleshooting, problem solving, critical thinking and attention to detail. Ability to work together with development team members and convey thoughts clearly and concisely is key.
- Create and maintain architectural and design documentation including identifying and documenting integration patterns.
- Participate in code and technical design reviews ensuring high quality, consistent code.
- Serve as a resource and mentor for less experienced Software Engineers, mentoring on design patterns, development best practices.
- Triage, perform root cause analysis, provide guidance and solve production incidents / issues associated with Enterprise applications and integrations.
- Available to perform weeknight and weekend production support as needed.
- Experience with full software development lifecycle (SDLC) using Agile/Scrum methodology.
- 5+ years’ total development experience with languages such as .Net framework (4.x and earlier), focusing on C#, ASP.Net, MVC, Entity Framework, LINQ.
- Understanding of Web Services protocols such as REST, SOAP and API design for extensibility.
- Experience supporting and understanding web applications
- Solid experience with source control tools (e.g. SVN, Git), including branching and merging.
- Must be a team player with very strong interpersonal, communication, organizational and problem solving skills.
- Proven ability to effectively work with team members and business users.
- Understanding of cloud development including the Software as a Service (SaaS) model.
- Experience with technology solutions from vendors like Salesforce, Sage, and other relevant platforms a plus.
- Scheduling systems and automation tools for batch processing, such as ActiveBatch.
- Experience with multiple development languages for example Python or Java.
- Data analytics experience
- Experience with TDD (Test Driven Development) or BDD (Behavior Driven Development) and testing frameworks including MSTest, NUnit or SpecFlow.
- 3+ years (combined) in an investment technology architecture, development or support role within Trading, Investment Banking or Asset Management
- Experience with SQL scripting and practical experience writing queries for testing and development
- DevOps processes including utilizing Bitbucket, Bamboo and XL Deploy platforms to setup automated development processes for Continuous Integration.
- 4-Year Degree in a STEM discipline from a leading university or institution