Informatics Senior Data Analyst
Informatics Senior Data Analyst
Under the general direction of the Informatics Section Chief, serves as Senior Data Analyst for management, analysis, and rapid dissemination of data on specific healthcare quality topics and public health priorities including COVID-19. Manipulates large datasets to identify and summarize trends to inform strategic public health decisions. Directs development of effective data visualizations and other tools to communicate key data related to specific healthcare quality issues and select public health priorities. Engages with IDPH staff and external groups to understand data reporting needs and coordinates creation of custom data reports for a variety of users. Serves as working supervisor.
- Manipulates large datasets to identify and summarize trends to inform strategic public health decisions. Cleans, merges, organizes, and manages data from multiple sources, including transferring data to the reporting database. Performs data validation, complex data analysis and reviews data errors logs. Creates and executes complex MS SQL queries and procedures.
- Directs development of effective data visualizations and other tools to communicate key data related to specific healthcare quality issues and select public health priorities. Creates interactive Tableau data dashboards and ArcGIS visualizations and maps. Researches and applies data presentation best practices and guidelines to ensure clear, concise communication of the data. Solicits and incorporates feedback from internal and external users regarding data dashboards and visualizations and applies these in an iterative process to refine and improve data dissemination tools.
- Engages with IDPH staff and external groups to understand data reporting needs and coordinates creation of custom data reports for a variety of users. Makes and implements recommendations for data aggregation, analysis, and reporting. Provides consultation and technical assistance to IDPH staff on data visualization tools and methods.
- Serves as working supervisor. Assigns and reviews work and provides feedback on performance. Monitors subordinates’ progress on projects and provides coaching. Approves work schedules and time off. Determines and addresses staffing needs, conducts interviews, recommends applicants for hire, and prepares annual performance evaluations. Recommends and administers discipline when necessary.
- Requires knowledge, skill, and mental development equivalent to completion of four years of college in public health, biostatistics, mathematics, computer science, data analytics or a closely related area.
- Requires at least five years of progressively responsible experience conducting data analysis and creating data visualizations.
- Research experience, familiarity with one or more public health datasets, and experience with statistical modeling of longitudinal data are preferred.
- Requires strong data analysis skills and proficiency in SAS or other statistical software. Requires strong knowledge of MSSQL query, procedures and views.
- Experience with Python data manipulation is preferred.
- Requires proficiency using data visualization software including Tableau and ArcGIS.
- Requires excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Requires strong interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively in teams and with multiple stakeholders.
- Previous supervisory experience is preferred.