In Asset Management industry, the Data Engineer is an integral part of Front Office Technology providing best in class technology solutions, capabilities and support to the firm’s Research, Portfolio Management and Trading (Equity / Fixed Income) teams. The Data Engineer will partner with teams in Technology teams and Front Office to assist in the design and implementation of the next generation data platform for Harris.
In addition the Data Engineer will also develop, maintain and support data integrations across Harris and associated vendor systems.
The position also requires knowledge of data management strategies with a focus on development and data integration.
Good communications and problem solving skills and strong knowledge of the asset management industry are also very important.
Harris Associates is a top tier global investment management firm with 24 hours x 6 day trading operations.
Duties and responsibilities
- Participate in the development and architecture of a cloud based data aggregation and curation layer for the firm
- Architect and implement data integration / analysis solutions across market leading research, portfolio management and execution platforms (e.g. FactSet / Bloomberg)
- Working with Research and Performance Analytics teams, develop and customize models for client portfolios
- Design analytics and BI dashboards / visualizations to facilitate business understanding of technical results
- Create and maintain architectural and design documentation including identifying and documenting integration patterns.
- Participate in code and technical design reviews ensuring high quality, consistent code.
- Serve as a resource and mentor for less experienced developers, mentoring on analytics and quantitative development.
- Available to perform weeknight and weekend production support as needed.
- Critical skills include problem solving, critical thinking and attention to detail. Ability to work together with development team members and convey thoughts clearly and concisely is key.
Position Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
- 3+ years (combined) experience in a Data Architecture / Engineering role within Trading, Investment Banking or Asset Management
- Experience in implementation of cloud based data lake / data warehousing platforms
- Experience with Data Visualization and BI Tools (Tableau / PowerBI)
- Solid understanding of SQL (T-SQL) and RDBMS (SQL Server)
- Experience with data integration and ETL tools and patterns
- Must be a team player with very strong interpersonal, communication, organizational and problem solving skills.
- Proven ability to effectively work with team members and business users in a 24 x 6 environment.
- 4-Year Degree in a STEM discipline or equivalent
- Exposure to Charles River, FactSet and Bloomberg products around Research, Portfolio Management and Trade Order / Execution Management
- Experience in Quantitative Data Analytics and Modeling leveraging Python Analytics and Machine Learning Stack
- Experience with full systems development lifecycle (SDLC) using Agile/Scrum methodology and Jira.
- Experience with source control tools (e.g. SVN, Git), including branching and merging.
- Experience with TDD (Test Driven Development) or BDD (Behavior Driven Development) and testing
- Experience in developing within the .Net framework
- DevOps processes including utilizing Bitbucket, Bamboo and XL Deploy platforms to setup automated development processes for Continuous Integration.
- Understanding of cloud development including the Software as a Service (SaaS) model.
- Masters in a STEM discipline