About the Role
We are seeking a full-time Senior Data Engineer to design and develop our Learning Management System ultimately helping to deliver students a world-class learning experience and life-changing score increases. The Senior Data Engineer will lead the development of our Learning Management System as well as other platforms that help drive our success. While prior roles in related fields are always valued, most importantly, this person will have intellectual curiosity, velocity execution and think strategically. This position is based at our new Los Angeles headquarters (or remote) and reports to our Director of Software Engineering.
- Design innovative solutions that push the boundaries of the education technology space - We believe there is a universe of potential that technology can unlock in education. We want you to have that same vision, whether that's applying new technology to education or new education research into a product.
- You love data and the insights that it can provide - You understand that quality data is the differentiator for our learners.
- You are great at decomposing complex problems - You are a great debugger and problem solver.
- You tell great stories with data - Generating models and visualizations that explain stories and allow for data-driven solutions is your jam.
- Mentoring engineering best practices - You are open to sharing and mentoring others about technology.
- Remain Calm - Look, we know that software development, and especially data, is a stressful job. Our engineers are calm under pressure, analytical, logical, and a beacon of trust for everyone involved.
Experience in backend databases and surrounding technologies.
- Expertise in Data and Software Design.
- Expertise in Advanced SQL skills and building out ETL pipelines
- Expertise in AWS Data technologies such as DynamoDB, Redshift, Aurora, Glue, S3, and Redis.
- Strong Experience with RDBMS such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, MSQL, etc.
- Strong Experience with NoSQL such as DynamoDB, MongoDB, Redis, etc.
Experience building BI models and visualizations.
- Experience with visualization tools such as Looker, Tableau, or Power BI.
- Experience with LookML and Looker preferred.
Experience working with modern software development processes.
- Experience with Jira, Agile, SDLC, CI/CD, Git, Code Reviews.
Expert problem solver; debugging in the cloud and distributed systems.
- Strong expertise in debugging complicated issues, such as concurrency, memory optimization, and runtime optimization across distributed systems.
Who we are . . .
We are the leading boutique provider of LSAT and MCAT test preparation. We offer several prep options for students, including an online self-study program, in-person and live online classroom options, and live online tutoring. We are a founder-led company that started with a simple vision to prep students more effectively than the big companies by making learning more engaging, more entertaining, and more effective. We are educators at heart looking to serve our students better every day. We know what’s at stake and we understand what it takes to help students succeed.
We are seeking future team members who display our values:
- Students First
- Bias for Action
- Honesty and Transparency
- Own the Result
- Energy and Enthusiasm
- Always Learning
We have a smart, experienced leadership team that wants to do things right and is open to new ideas. Our team embodies a sense of fun and an unwavering commitment to excellence. We share the belief that we can have a good time while still being the best at what we do.
- Competitive salary at a fast-growing company
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance
- 401K plan
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Free membership to the gym within the corporate headquarters
- Free employee test prep programs (LSAT or MCAT)
- Family discounts on prep programs