We seek a talented and experienced Director of Application Development to join our Chicago-area location. This high-visibility position offers the opportunity to be an integral part of a dynamic company. Your primary responsibility is technical leadership for the design, development, and support of our browser-based, customer-facing products.
You will participate in all phases of the software development life cycle. The right candidate must have extensive architecture and development experience with Web-based products in a Microsoft .NET/C# environment. This position requires significant hands-on development. You will also be responsible for the infrastructure supporting our application development and operation. You will work closely with software engineers, application business owners, customers, and other stakeholders to ensure progress and quality of application development projects. You will oversee the quality assurance system, including by performing code reviews.
This position offers enormous benefits for the right candidate, including wide exposure to business processes and new technology, working in a stimulating environment, and great benefits, including the ability to work virtually.
Required Skills and Qualifications: This position requires at least 10 years of hands-on, professional full life-cycle experience in an n-tier Microsoft environment developing distributed Web-based systems. Other requirements include:
- 10+ years of Web development, with 7+ years of strong hands-on C#/.NET and SQL Server experience and at least 4 years of actual "architecture" work
- 4+ years playing a lead role within a structured development environment, using methodologies such as RUP, CMMi, and Agile.
- A proven track record of successfully translating customer requirements into workable application solutions
- Excellent project planning skills, including scope definition, time estimation, and risk and issue management. Ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities and developers working in different time zones.
- Experience with SQL Reporting Services, Sharepoint development, and healthcare software / interfaces are a plus.
Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree or higher in computer science or a related field. They need a proven ability to work independently and ensure the delivery of high quality, reliable software in a fast-paced setting. Candidates also need excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Location: Our office is located in Northbrook, IL. Telecommuting is available, but residence within 100 miles of Chicago is preferable. Limited travel to customer sites or meetings may be required (about 2 days/month).