Working closely with internal and external resources, the Category Manager is responsible for developing critical insights, solutions, and strategic and tactical category action plans to assigned customers. The Category Manager is the primary representative to the Brand Marketing and Leadership teams for all category management activities. This position addresses complex business opportunities by leveraging multiple date sources, tools and analytics, shopper insights and solutions into persuasive communications.
- Leverage syndicated data, consumer research, internal proprietary data and systems to generate actionable insights that will help drive category insights, address issues, or capitalize on opportunities to drive sales growth.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with internal stakeholders.
- Identify portfolio gaps and sales growth opportunities and develop strategic and tactical plans accordingly.
- Prepare and present strategic insights to Brand Marketing and Leadership teams to support category selling initiatives and secure alignment of strategic and tactical plans across multiple levels of the organization.
- Deliver impartial and objective solutions by providing differentiated, timely, relevant, and actionable insights.
- Develop and manage project timelines.
- Understands and demonstrates the Company’s core values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Key Success Factors
- Highly analytical with a demonstrated aptitude to utilize trend analysis, syndicated data, customized research and other sources to turn data and information into actionable insights
- Identifies and communicates trends; able to develop strategic recommendations based on consumer segmentation, consumer targeting, brand positioning, and brand architecture
- Business and financial acumen
- Displays a strong action orientation
- Builds collaborative partnerships across functional teams
- Exhibits strong leadership potential with track record of displaying functional expertise
- Manages complex priorities with focus on driving for results
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Innovative, agile, and creative
- Organized with strong planning skills
- Comfortable dealing with ambiguity
- Bachelor's degree required
- Minimum 3 years of experience in category management in consumer goods
- Experience cultivating insights from syndicated data sources (e.g. IRI, Nielsen, SPINS, etc.)
- Experience in the vitamin and supplement industry a plus
- Demonstrated success in developing, implementing, and executing category management activities
- Strong writing, presentation and verbal communication skills
- Strong project management abilities. Capable of prioritizing and handling multiple projects simultaneously under tight time constraints and within budget parameters
- High proficiency in MS Excel, MS PowerPoint
- Proven track record of tangible impact to top/bottom line.
- Demonstrates a genuine interest in and passion for the supplement industry